Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Free and Thank You

If you are still unsure as to whether or not you should take the big "flip", you might want to check out the Sophia.org website.  They periodically post webinars that are free.  I watched one last night presented by a Spanish teacher from Colorado who is "Flipping for Fluency".  There were teachers from all over the world at the webinar and many of them taught subjects other than foreign languages.

At this point in my flipping journey, I am conflicted.  I love the benefits that I am seeing from having my tutorials viewed at home and we practice in class.  I can't believe how much my direction instruction, while I still feel it's necessary in some cases, has sucked time from my classes.  When I was continually having to wait for students to stop talking, get out the appropriate materials, etc, all while trying to grab their attention to the riveting topic of "Definite and Indefinite Articles in Spanish", much time was wasted.  This was time that they should have been practicing with the language.

I have always told my students that they need to practice, but was I giving them the appropriate opportunities to do so.  I think for the most part, yes.  I don't think I, or anyone else for that matter, is an ineffective teacher for directly instructing their students.  I do, however, see how I am able to utilize the class time more effectively by not doing so and having them view it at home.

However, there is still the task of creating the tutorials ahead of time so that students can have ample time to access a computer and view the tutorials.  I initially wanted to do this periodically, but I see the benefits, and I want to keep doing more.  I just don't have enough time in the day.  Especially now that the quarter is ending!!

I would like to take the opportunity to thank many people for reading the blog (can't believe it!), supporting me in writing it and for asking me questions about the flipping method.  I would also like to thank my department for all of their support and openness while I am implementing this method.  If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
¡Hasta la próxima vez!

No comments:

Post a Comment