Wednesday, October 24, 2012

My Introduction to "Flipping" my classes

"Flipping"?  Um... ¡no gracias! What is this?  Will I have to do flips in front of the room?  Or will my students be "flipping" me the finger?  (Well, maybe.)  At any rate, I had absolutely no idea what this classroom practice was all about.  I had heard several people speak of it, I had read some things about it, but I wasn't completely aware of what "flipping" my class entailed or what I would have to do.

Ugh!  Something new!  Quite frankly, with the new evaluation system, I didn't know if I could or wanted to learn something new.  But, after 10 years of teaching, I felt as though I needed something to keep my teaching interesting.  I initially heard about the flipped classroom on Twitter.  I dove a little deeper with some google searches and came upon the Sophia.org website.  I saw on this website a treasure trove of tutorials created by educators, such as myself.  I watched a few of them and honestly, I was overwhelmed!!

So, I decided to sign up for a free webinar.  It was hosted by Sophia.org and the speaker was Crystal Kirch, a math teacher and department chair in California.  She had only been flipping for one year and the amount of work that she had done was both impressive and overwhelming.  I went away from the webinar feeling excited, scared, and apprehensive about starting this practice.

Where do I begin?  What resources do I need?  Will I have to get a grant from EGEF to buy any special equipment?  These were all the questions swirling around in my head.  Some of the buzz words and terms were like learning a foreign language (ha!).  But, seriously, where do I begin?

2 comments:

  1. Good luck and thanks for sharing your journey with everyone. Let me know if we can support you & your students in any way.

    ReplyDelete