Wednesday, October 24, 2012

My first baby "flips"!

I forgot to mention in my first blog what exactly is a flipped classroom!!  Essentially, "flipping" your class means students are watching tutorials that I have created at home, online.  The tutorials consist of me teaching a particular topic.  Therefore, the instruction happens at home and not in the class.  Students then fill out a guided practice sheet that either accompanies the tutorial or is given beforehand. In class, students are actively engaged in practicing the topic they learned.

One of the major benefits of this type of instruction, so they say, is differentiated instruction.  Through the use of Google Forms, I can gain a better understanding of what students do or do not understand from my instructional tutorial.  I can reteach a topic to a group of students, one student or the whole class, depending on the feedback.  (I became flipclass certified through Sophia.org.  It's free and takes a total of 2 hours to go through the course.  Fairly painless!  Plus, you get a certificate and a free t-shirt!!)

So now for my baby flips:
Step one: Decide which class to use this new practice with and which topic I was going to teach.

I decided that I would try this out with my Spanish 2 classes for a couple of reasons.  One, because they are very conscientious students and I believe that they will actually watch the tutorials.  Two, because the topic I was going to present was on Preterite tense verb conjugations.  This is the past tense and they are already familiar with how to conjugate verbs and the conjugation chart.

Step two:  Make a tutorial.

I anticipated that this was going to be a very daunting task.  Surprisingly, it wasn't.  I did have to make a power point presentation that teaches the Preterite tense verb conjugations.  While I was making the power point, I knew that I wanted to have a voice over.  On our new Mac Airs, there is that option to record your voice as you go through the presentation.  I tried to keep in mind how I would normally present this information to my students if I were speaking in front of the class.  One of the biggest points that I have heard or read is that you don't sound like a robot!  Speak as if you were in front of the class.

Step three:  Upload the tutorial.

This was fairly simple.  The Sophia.org website walks you through the process nicely.  Plus, the benefit of Sophia.org is that you can keep all of your tutorials in one place.  (I should be getting some money for mentioning this website so much, no? :))

¡Hasta pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment